Fillet/Tape/Glassing sequence

Hi all,

I’m building a Wood Duckling from plans. The hull joints are to be filleted, reinforced with glass tape, and then fiberglass cloth is put down over that. Ideally, one would do these things in one swell foop, but because I’m working by myself during stolen moments… well, I’m curious about breaking up the task.

Any thoughts on it being better/easier to fillet and tape at the same time THEN glass at a later date VS. filleting THEN taping and glassing together at a later time? I’m guessing the latter is better.

I might be overthinking this, but I’d appreciate any comments regardless.

Thanks,

Patrick

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Fillet/Tape/Glassing sequence

Fillet & tape first, glass later. No sanding the fillets that way.

I like:

a. tack

b. wait for tacks to cure

c. remove wires

d. fillet & tape

e. glass

I also like to saturate the tape with epoxy, then apply it to the soft fillets, smoothing everything into place with a gloved finger. The tape is perfectly wet out and it bonds smoothly to the fillets with no sanding needed.

More fillet thoughts at Building a Wood Duck 12

Have fun,

Laszlo

Terrific- that sounds easy enough. I've read through your build log more than once in the past- guess this point just didn't sink in. I had assumed that the "lump" created by the relatively thick tape would have made a tight glass layup more difficult.

A final twist in this question- I have about a half gallon of epoxy to use up and three gallons of another brand waiting in the wings. I've been told- and my limited experience seems to confirm- that switching brands is not such a big deal as long as the application surface is cured and has been roughed up a bit to aid in creating a mechanical bond. This is straightforward enough if I was simply sanding down a fillet (I'd do this anyway) but I don't wanyt to be sanding through tape. Assuming a "tight" layup with the tape, will the rough surface allow for an adequate mechanical bond with the fiberglass that comes later?

Thanks,

Patrick

Patrick,

Use a cabinet scraper or a light touch with power sander to knock down the selvege (the stitching along one edge of the tape), then you'll be fine.

Question 2 - yes.

Laszlo

Wunderbar. Thanks!

Patrick

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.