Installing cockpit apron and coaming on a shearwater 16 hybrid

I was recently given what I think is a Shearwater 16 Hybrid.  The thing is that whoever built this boat used a homemade fiberglass cockpit coaming that IMO detracts from the boat.  I prefer a wood coaming, and what I would like to do is just cut the existing coaming out and install  the stock plywood cockpit apron and cockpit coaming. 

Anyone got any idea how I could install the cockput apron without having the forms used to make the deck?   Alternatively I had thought about just forgetting the cockpit apron and just building a Chesapeake style coaming, gluing it to the deck and cutting out inside the coaming.

5 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Installing cockpit apron and coaming on a shearwater 16 hybrid

Could you just fit a wood apron over the fiberglass coaming?

You don't need any forms to make a coaming. Cut off the fiberglass coaming; build up about 3/4" high wood coaming about 1/2" wide by laminating pieces of plywood or solid wood around the hole; Cut a 4mm plywood apron to fit (it can be multiple pieces, although a single piece will be easier); fillet under the apron with thickened epoxy, and apply a layer of fiberglass on top and wrapped around the inside of the coaming. If you cut the cloth on the bias, it should wrap without having to cut darts in it.

-Wes

Be sure to mask the deck with waxed paper and packing tape so you don't have to grind off excess epoxy and refinish it.

What I meant by the cockpit apron is the piece of plywood that fits into the hole in the cedar strip deck on a Shearwater hybrid that the coaming is then glued to.

Take a look at the photo about half way down the page (Sept. 4, 2009 post) at http://twofootartist.com/merganser-construction-notes/ to see how I did it on my Merganser hybrid. I cut a base out of 6mm Okuoume, tacked it to the cedar deck strips, then filled the gap with slightly thickened epoxy. That gave me a base to build up a coaming and apron much like those in the kits. -Wes

Thanks for the suggestion, I think that would work on this boat. 

BTW your Merganser hybrid is beautiful! 

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.