Date boat was built

Planning to date my newly minted boat with a brass plate.  What date would you put on the plate--date begun or the date finished ( is it ever finished?  This is to help identify it if it goes missing !

8 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Date boat was built

I always use the month and year finished, as well as the place where I built it - and my name, of course. -Wes

Hey BM, better go with "Broadmargins" iinstead...

If you don't mind me asking, where are you getting your brass plate from? I'm closing in on finishing a Wood Duck 12 and think that a brass plate is a great idea!

Thanks very much,

Rob

Woodenboat mag shop has them for an outrageous price; but usually places that make trophies and award placks  have them.  You can get them in all variations, plus they will engrave themn.

...and they will quickly turn green. Just use a waterproof marker pen - much quicker, easier, and less expensive. -Wes

I used a pencil - under the fiberglass. That's permanent.

Laszlo

Thanks all. I was going to do as you suggest Lazlo - a little pencil under the fiberglass on the hull but, well, it's glassed and I forgot to do it! The deck has yet to get it's glass so maybe I find a discreet place somewhere to do it but I'm thinking I don't want it "on the top" of the boat. 

Hmmm, as the deck glass is going to wrap onto the hull area by 2 inches, perhaps I can still do it? I was planning on writing the date just below the deck/ hull attachment line and if the glass wraps over it that would be similar to what you suggest Lazlo - it would be protected/permanent with the layer over it?

I wonder if pencil would be the best - I don't want it to smudge, perhaps a fine point sharpie, but that might show more than I'd like? I'm just looking for something subtle but permanent.

Thanks for any and all opinions!

Rob

DON'T use a Sharpie, Rob. The ink dissolves in epoxy. All you'll have is a smeared blob. Have you glassed the inside yet? My WD12 is signed on the cockpit side of the bulkhead. For that matter, there's always the rice paper route. You can make a nice graphic that includes the builder info, laser print it onto rice paper and epoxy that under the glass. The paper will turn transparent and you'll have a black line art graphic that will look good "on the top". Have fun, Laszlo

Excellent advise as usual Lazlo!! Thanks very much, and I think I'll go with a more subtle route than the blob of sharpie! :)

Greatly appreciate your suggestion and help, 

Rob

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.