Heartbreaking Kaholo 14 damage

Well, after using every bit of boatbuilding knowledge available to me (not much) I finished my build this past week. It was Labor Day weekend and I decided to launch the Kaholo for her maiden voyage. As I had not decided on the size and placement of the permanent deck pads I used a suction-cup bath mat for the pads.

Well, not long into my second ride, the mat slipped (not blaming my incident on the mat totally as I am pretty amateurish) and I went down hard on the deck. To my surprise, I not only went through the deck, but the accompanying bulkhead.

I am writing here to ask for suggestions on a fix

My initial thoughts are to sand back a few inches to the deck board, sister up a new bulkhead to what is left of the old one and maybe replace to deck in this area with strips of some kind as I will never be able to match the deck.

Ideas/ Thoughts?

7 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Heartbreaking Kaholo 14 damage

First off, my heart goes out to you. I had a buddy just finish painting a wherry when a wind lifted it up and when it landed, he had broken stringers and popped a few seams - led him to heavy scotch! Anyway, a bit of ingenuity and his boat was back to near perfect. And so can your yours.

I think the structural is the easiest part - probably just cut back to the offending bulkhead and either repalce or even easier, sister it. The harder part wtill be how to make it look nice. I recommend making lemonade out of lemons - a bit more work, but could be cool! Seeing your graphics, i could imagine what i would put there!

Pick an 'inlay' design that could replace the entire broken area - that way the fix looks cool and your incident will be forever eliminated. My daughter had a small pram named "Little Woody" - when she poked a whole in the bow plate, I replaced the cut with a 'woody' car cutout!!  Lemonade from Lemons!

Good luck!

I'm planning a Kaholo build this winter and I'm curious: was this okoume ply with a standard layup? I would have thought it would tougher. But one thing I've learned on my current and first build, a Great Auk stripper, is that most mistakes and damage can be fixed. I dropped my Auk on the garage floor when I finished stripping the hull and it cracked badly in about five places. Now it's all glassed and even I can't see where it was cracked! 

I popped the seams on my Kaholo during its maiden voyage. Hit some jelly fish and the sudden stop pitched me forward on to the front of deck ( not glassed). Patched up with PVC tape at the monent but I'll strip th front deck area at a later date to match my Pax20 surfski deck. I like your graphic and as suggested you could cover a patch with similiar.

Wow, that is heartbreaking. 

Just a thought - Remove the deck hatch and insert a sister bulkhead (just the center section) or place a piece of ply under the damaged area to bring it up and level.  Then cover it over with something decorative, e.g. a second layer in that area so you do not have to touch the artwork.  Put the hatch back aft if there is room.

I think cutting out the damage may create a weaker spot than leaving it in place.  The weight difference should be small.

BTW where did you find the artwork? 

it doesnt look too bad.  Totally fixable.  I agree with SUPSelby above, use your existing hatch opening to push the break back up into place, maybe even a few screws to pull it up for some leverage.  Then built a new bulkhead that will sister the existing one or posts to hold up the damage in place. Once pushed back in place the crack might not even show as much as you might think.   It doesnt look like you have any glass on the deck or under.  Did you not glass that area for lightness?  Not worth the few pounds of savings.  And, um, go with a really good deck pad for better grip.  The other idea I had is to put in a full hatch between bulkheads, get rid of that Beckson plate and build a nice flush watertight hatch like on the kayaks.  You could keep a bunch of surf wax in there so you dont slip again.  Although, the odds of you falling again in that spot are highly unlikely.

Wow, all great responses, THANKS!

Sean - The ply was okoume that came in the kit

SUP - The process you discuss seems most feasible rather than cutting it all out. The fabric I acquired over a year ago (when the build was supposed to be finsihed). I will try to find the supplier. If I recall correctly I think I searched something like sexy-tropical-fabric. 

Bill - Thanks, I think your approach and SUPSelby is the way I am heading. The deck is glassed top and bottom. I am trying to get the number 10 bulkhead from CLC as we speak and I am think about adding an extra one in case I do the same stupid thing again!

wow my cracked skeg doesn't seem so bad now

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.