opinions of Sea Dek nonskid self adhesive flooring

I have a Peeler project coming up and wondering how good the Sea Dek product is. They now offer it pre-cut for the Peeler floor. I'm going with a Center Console, not sure if they will offer that variation. I would have to cut out the CC area myself. Thanks, Ken.

9 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: opinions of Sea Dek nonskid self adhesive flooring

I'm the guy who first used SeaDek. The first thing I used it on was a Kaholo and then I put it in the floor of the BETA Sea Island Sport. It's still on both and in good shape after several years. I'm refinishing the SIS right now and thought about pulling out the SeaDek to make working in the cockpit easier but the self adhesive is holding exceptionally well. It's a great product, easy to work with as far as cutting and shaping and lasts a long time. And it looks good, too! And no, I'm not on the payroll!

George K

My opinion is based upon the Kaholo if finished this spring and have been using all summer.  The stuff is pretty good.  I trimmed it because I didn't want it to be as long as the stock long pad that CLC sells.  It trims beautifully with a fresh blade.  I have had zero problems with it delaminating from the varnished board and I use it quite regularly in both salt and fresh water.  

It's a good product that I plan to place in my upcoming Dory build.  My only complaint is the color.  It would be nice for a couple other options other than battleship gray.

I used it for my schooner and am very happy with it. I started with a full sheet and cut out the various shapes using a single-sided razor blade. I've also found that it works best to apply on a hot day so that the material softens and is more pliable.

It's comfortable against skin and much safer to stand on than bare wood.

Laszlo

Thanks for all of your input. Seadek appears to be a winner. I plan to use it in my Peeler.

In my peeler, I applied one coat of epoxy paint and allowed it to dry.  I then placed another coat of paint and sprinkled it with sand.  I allowed this to dry and then applied another coat of paint.  I now have skid resistant floor that is bleachable and not to bad on the bare feet.

As I recall you can send templates made from visqueen cut outs to SeaDek and they will cut your material for you.

And it comes in at least a dozen colors, at least in sheet or special order cut material

Having them cut it for you is not really worth it unless you're building more than a couple of boats or unless you're such a klutz that you shouldn't be building a boat anyway.

A straightedge, some cans for radii and a new single-edge razor blade make cutting it yourself really easy. The dots on the surface are great alignment marks so you can make a hand-cut piece look as if it were machine-cut, you can make 2 hand-cut pieces a perfect match without even trying hard.

The real work is designing the shapes, which you'd have to do in either case. So for virtually the same amount of work  you can can get your SeaDek installed faster and cheaper.

Good luck,

Laszlo

Yup, make paper templates, using straight edges and round stuff to get your shape just right. Trace onto the back of the non-skid sheet with a sharpie. Place non-skid face down on a masonite sheet, and cut with a utility knife in smooth strokes with the blade held low to the surface, and undercut (bevel) by 20 degrees or so.

I ordered samples of Seadeck and Hydroturf, and I liked the Hydroturf better based on a fingernail-based accelerated abrasion test. 

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.