Reinstalling deck hardware

I'm going to bite the bullet and refinish my wife's 2005 Chesapeake 14.  Other than the usual fading, nicks and cuts, it's developed some tiny bubbles in the paint along the keel. (Anybody know what causes the bubbles?)

Anyway, the sanding, painting, and varnishing I've got, at least in theory.

Do I need to do anything special to reinstall the deck rigging or should I just sink the screws back in their holes and call it good?

Thanks in advance.

Brad

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Reinstalling deck hardware

funny....this spring i re-finished my wife's chesapeake 14 as well.

here is the approach i took....perhaps a bit of overkill....but i had no problems on the boat for a number of years and wanted to keep it that way.

1) took the screws out

2) let it sit for a couple days to ensure no moisture.

3) put a couple drops of epoxy in each hole with a wooden skewer.

4) before the epoxy set, put the screw back in then immediately removed it (this way i sealed any opening in the wood from water intrusion)...wipe up any epoxy that gets pushed out of the hole.

5) let the epoxy set

6) when re-installing the hardware for the final time, put a dab of clear silicone in the hole/on the screw...the drove the screw in. 

Right.  I was concerned about moisture compromising the sheer clamps, and this sounds like a good way to prevent that.

So, two more questions:

Did you thicken the epoxy at all and if so about how much?

About how long did you wait to sink the screws after you filled the holes?

Thanks for the tip -- very helpful.

Brad

If you squirt some acetone into the hole it will mix with what ever moisture is in there and when the acetone evaporates, which it will do quickly, it will take the moisture with it.  I don't know how it would affect your aint or varnish so be careful. May be you could use a Q tip.

i don't thicken the epoxy in the approach l listed out above.  i want it to be able to easily penetrate into the surrounding wood.

i only wait 5 to 10 minutes.  just trying to ensure i am sealing the wood from moisture.  so waiting any longer is not going to make a difference.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.