West River 180 finished ( almost )

Finally finishing up my West River 180 ( the original 180) that I started building back in 2002!

I had it CLOSE to being complete within a few months of starting it way back then, but we moved to a new house, and I hung the unfinished project in the new garage to be completed once we were settled in the new place.  Well, 11 years later I guess we're finally settled in!  I got the WR180 down a few weeks ago, got the coaming on it, another coat of epoxy and rigged it out.  Going to paddle it a couple weeks, before removing the rigging and doing the final varnish.

WR180 Riggin

First time in water - it floats!

It floats - Even with me in it!

Dave H

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: West River 180 finished ( almost )

Nice looking boat even after all those years! Pool paddles are okay but just wait till you get that thing out in the open! I have a WR18 and love paddling it. 

George K

RE: West River 180 finished ( almost )

Ok it's tippy. Ill gather you got that from the pool session. If you tried sweep strokes you'll see its not easy to persuade this kayak away from a straight line. Its doable but it can be distracting in following seas. It IS a very fast hull.  Wether I paddle or sail mine its always got a nice easily attainable higher end cruise speed than typical hard chines. Again, more tippy with less bilge but its a slick quick ride.  With the sailrig it'll go anywhere . With paddle alone I prefer  protected waters.

Congrats - u will put on the miles. 

Pete

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.