Cockpit enlargement

Is there a way to enlarge the cockpit opening on any given kayak?

9 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Cockpit enlargement

CLC will do any size custom opening you want for a flat $50.

is the cockpit already built or is this a new build?

You ca nmake the cockpit opening any size or shape you want, within the confines of the boats and bulkheads, etc....  on my clc triple, I made the center "hole" a large oval to accomodate multiple kids/dog/cooler/sailing position with sailrig,etc...

I simply mirror imaged the "Back" part of the keyhole cockpit pattern from the plans and then fudged the connection between front part of oval and back until it had a fair curve and it had a nice oval shape. It came out great, looks great and functions as hoped for.  As for a cockpit cover, I would need to get a custom fitted one if desired but, frankly, have not had a need as yet.

Thank you for the info. Hspira-just a question. Nothing built yet. Was wondering if I decide to do one of these if I can make it work for someone who needs more room in the cockpit than what is designed. At least I know there are options. Thanks again!!

most designs can be modified to provide more 'room' within certain limitations.  but you need to sort out what 'more room' means. 

one common element is the cockpit opening itself (e.g., the inner dimension of the coaming).  the key point with respect to cockpit opening is typically can you get your knee/leg in/out of the boat while still seated.  being able to get your leg in/out while being seated can make it much easier to land a kayak than when you have to slide in leg first or exit by lifting your butt out first before you have enough room to lift your leg.  the arctic hawk (a boat sold by clc) for example, comes in three coaming size options.  the smallest one almost requires you to put the boat on like a pair of pants.  it is fairly easy to modify a design to make a larger cockpit opening assuming all other elements of the boat work for you (e.g., payload and overall hull dimensions)

another element is is maximum leg length.  again, a fairly easy modification for long legged folks to modify the position of the forward bulkhead and or reposition the foot brace tracks without having to do too much work.

the other most common element that people often want to modify is cockpit height at the knees and feet.  in this case somebody maybe has large feet or needs to have a certain amount of knee bend and the deck, as designed, is too close to floor of the cockpit so the feet can't fit comfortably or the knees can't get the bend they need for you to be comfortable.  a number of the boats clc has have 'high deck' and 'low deck' versions.   this is certainly a design modification that can be done but it is more tricky than the other types of modifications described above.  in stich and glue kits, everything is going to be precut to the design....so a modification would mean throwing out some parts and making some custom bits which in the stich and glue approach is pretty tricky.  it is probably easier to tweak the deck height of a strip-built decked boat becuase it is easier to make and construct the adjustment.

there are also approaches i have seen at that simply 'size-up' a design that was drawn for a smaller person for a person who is larger who liked the design.    again, this is fairly complicated....and fwiw....easiest to manage with strip built approaches.

i would certainly not hesitate to call clc and talk to the customer support folks about what you want to do.   they are pretty knowledgable and i am sure happy to make some suggestions.  i would also be happy to make more comments if you provide some more specific information on what you are trying to do (e.g., what design are you thinking about and how do you think you want to modify it).

Hspira,

Thank you for the info. I was thinking more along the lines of opening the cockpit for more room for someone who is heavier and would have a hard time fitting in the designed opening. The legs and knees might not be as big a problem as the waist. But thanks again. Should we decide to build one I guess we'd contact CLC concerning the cockpit. We had been thinking about the Chesapeake Double.

Mebbmo,

I built a CH16 for my wife who needed more room in the width of the cockpit opening. So I asked CLC for a custom cockpit cutout that was 2 inches wider than the standard. I would not recommend going any wider than this, since there was not much deck left on the side.

Mike MM,

Thank you for the information. That's what I was wondering. Once you make it larger there wouldn't be much wood left around it. I'm leaning more toward a strip built canoe at this point, but who knows....

A brief comment about cockpit covers.  The main reason I have one, even though the kayak lives in the garage, is that I don't want to climb in it one day only to discover that there is a wasp nest inside!   This would be a "revoltin' development" to say the least, or could even be deadly to someone with an allergy.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.