Fiberglass Overlap on Bow of WD10

I just finished the glass on the hull and I don't think I did a great job cutting the dart at the bow.  I have a 2" overlap for most of the bow, but there's about a 1/4" to 1/2" (closer to a 1/4") spot where the two edges of the fabric just meet on the rounded part of the bow (right along the chine).  Is this going to be a problem?  If so, what are my options to remedy the issue? Should I patch another piece of fiberglass over it?  

Thanks for any help.

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Fiberglass Overlap on Bow of WD10

Another piece of fiberglass will solve your problem, and will feather in easily to be invisible.  You could also take a pro-active approach to the situation and apply a full length piece of fiberblass tape from just under the bow to the level of the deck.  This will give you an extra layer of glass right where you will be most likely to suffer some impact at some point in the life of the boat, and will also feather in nicely.

Thanks, Peter.  I was thinking this problem had an easy fix. I think I'll go with the extra protection of the fiberglass tape.  Should I wait unti the first coat cures before adding this?

Paul

You don't need a full cure before adding the tape.  It will actually be a better bond if it's still a little "green".

If you cut some glass on the bias, rather than using "tape", it will comborm much more easily to the compound curve.  If you sand it smooth when set but not hard, Ie about 48 hours later it will sand very easily to fether the edge. I wish I had done that with my first two builds. Had to go back later and do it after "sanding" the fiberglass of on a dozen or two beaches.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.