Bristol Finish?

has anyone used the product Bristol Finish?  I have used Epiphanes and Interlux varnish on my last 5 projects and it seems like this Bristol Finish is a pretty good product and faster than traditional varnsihing.  

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Bristol Finish?

I have used it on my sailboat. It isn't cheap, but you do get to build up coats much faster. I have found you need to thin it some to keep that wet edge, but I do live in Florida and varnish at 90 degrees in the sun. Florida has three types of varnising weather, hot and sunny, wet and sunny, cool and dark.  The color is the same as varnish. I believe it does hold up better than traditional varnishes. It is more difficult for me to obtain than Perfection varnish which is similiar.  You can do your 8 coats in one day, then sand and add another coat or two of traditional varnish. This makes it a bit easier to fix scratches.  I don't care to mix Bristol in really small quantities as the mixing ratio is 8:1.

If you have the time and the project will not be subject to Florida sun on a daily basis, it is much cheaper to use traditional varnish. If you need to get those coats on in one day, or your project will be enjoying the Florida sun on a daily basis, then Bristol or Perfection may be a good way to go. Cetol provides even greater protection, but its color is someplace between varnish and paint.

George

RE: Bristol Finish?

I used it several years ago and thought it was great, easier to use than varnish for me.  I did the deck on a mahogany runabout , the boat still looks like I did it yesterday. There's lots of info out there on it. I don't think you'd want to cover it with varnish, it replaces the need to varnish. I bought mine from star distributing in mystic conn. they had info on it and I talked to them before I did it and they were very helpful. Good luck

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.