Boundary Waters Boats

Has anyone used their CLC boat up in Minnesota's BWCA?  I'm wondering which boat would be best for both load carrying AND the ever present portage from lake to lake. Wood Duck 12?

1 reply:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Boundary Waters Boats

i portaged a 14' rotomold in BWCA and don't care to do that again! Kayaks w/ skirt beat a canoe for bad weather paddling, in fact, on the one bad weather day of my trip, I was the only boat I saw out on the water.  A paddling partner, canoe, and big packs portage a whole lot easier than a kayak and a bunch of little dry bags. 

FYI- I upended the kayak, upside down, & set (the seat bottom) onto a metal frame backpack to carry the load on my hips. (your arms may be a whole lot stronger than mine).  I ran a line from bow to stern to help balance. Portaged the boat, then I retraced my steps and strapped my drybags onto the backkpack frame, portaged the supplies and repacked the boat. 

Wood duck isn't a touring boat- it isn't designed for long paddle trips.  How many hours in a day are you going to be paddling? How many days?  How many portages? Would you have a way to anchor dry bags in the bow area? How many dry bags?

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.