sawing the 3 piece Shearwater Kayak

What should I be looking for when sawing a boat into pieces such as the Shearwater kayak or nested dingy?  What saw to use? will a japanese pull saw work?  Kerf spacing at bulkheads?  What else?  This seems to be a very stressful time in the boat build!  Am I just cutting firewood?  How do I not do that?!  

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: sawing the 3 piece Shearwater Kayak

I've never done this, but...A Japanese pull saw should work fine, but you might want to insert some wedges behind the cut to keep the kerf open, since otherwise the saw might bind. (You can cut wedges yourself or simply buy them at a building supply (including Home Depot). They are used as spacers to line up door frames during installation.)

Perhaps use some strapping tape to secure your kayak and keep it stable as you cut. 

After doing a few test with various borrowed saws I find my japanese pull saw works out pretty good especially with using tape.  Unless something else happens that is my plan after I do some inside the hull sanding (oh joy). 

The Japanese pull saw worked ok.  I can see that a push saw would work better so that there would be less chance of tear out.  The tape helped reduce that.  My spacing between the bulkheads needs to be more accurate so I don't tear into it with the saw, I got some sanding to do on that now. On the next boat I'll find a different saw.  The hardware store had a Stanley 24" "Sharp Tooth " Finish Cut saw that looks promising.  $33.39

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.