Rowing question(oarlockseat positions)?

Finishing up my Chester Yawl and will set up a single  center rowing station. The plans place the oarlock riser not far aft of where the rowing seat would have to be. If the seat is too close and needs to be moved forward, it would conflict with the forward frame.

For you rowers out there: how far should the seat be from the oarlock positions.  I am 6'1" with long arms and legs.

I would assume the rowing seat should be as close to amidships as possible.  But with my seat there, location of orlocks (based on plans) looks way too close.

Thanks for any advice because being a serious kayaker for years, I know virtually nothing about rowing.  My experience all comes from a Concept 2 rowinf machine!

RichMPL

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Rowing question(oarlockseat positions)?

I researched this matter recently before setting up my little eastport pram.  Here's what I came up with:  The oar lock should be approximately 12 to 14 inches aft  and 7 inches above the aft edge of the thwart.  I'm 6 feet tall and I placed the oarlock at 12 inches.  It feels about right to me.

I built a chester yawl about three years ago and am very happy with it. I row 3-4 times a week with it. I am 5'11" and I set the oar locks as shown on the plan. Because the seat and foot brace can be placed any place you want you can adjust it however you want. My wife rows with the seat and foot brace in a different position than I and we both use the same fixed oar lock.  It's a fun little boat

Don

Many thanks to John and Don for your advuce.

Rich

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.