Peeler trailer

I will be finishing up my Peeler Skiff this month and I'm now searching for a suitable trailer. Looking for good quality. The boat won't travel far (maybe 30 miles from house). Of course, a smaller one would be great for the garage. Thanks for the help.

Kevin

6 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Peeler trailer

i bought the Aluminum Trailex SUT850 with 12 inch wheels.  It is small, only about 14'6' long and $170 pounds.  havent used it yet, still building my Peeler.  I think it will work out nicely and I will travel with my boat at least a few hundred miles a few times a year.  Most of what I looked at were much bigger and needed to have lighter springs put on.  So I went with the smaller, lighter one with plenty of load capacity to spare.

Just a reminder that a Peeler fully loaded (10-15hp 4cycle, 6gal gas can, heavy duty battery, anchor, cooler, fishing gear, etc.) will weigh in excess of 700lbs. Best to figure in a trailer capable of 1000lbs towing weight. My magic tilt aluminum trailer is rated for just under 2000lbs and tows my Peeler very nicely at highway speeds and has never felt over-sprung.

I can't find any info on the Trailex SUT850 trailer. Is it a discontinued model? It doesn't seem to be listed in their current on-line catalog. If the 850 refers to carry capacity it will probably work fine with careful loading. I think the 500 model would be too light. It seems to me from pictures of the CLC Peeler Demo boat that they use a fairly good sized galvanized trailer to haul it around. Can't seem to find a picture of their rig right now.

I'm interested in finding or making a canvas cover to use when trailing the Peeler. Have any of you given thought to this? Let me know what you come up with. I was thinking John C. would offer one at CLC for the Peeler but I guess there is not enough demand for one yet.

They will make any size trailer.  The 850 is not listed on their site.  That is the rating I believe.  850 pounds.   I needed something small and light, I am towing with a minivan.  I should keep her around 600 to 700 pounds carrying my fishing gear, cooler, etc in  the van.  I agree though that a rating around 1000 pounds would be perfect.

I have a few connections around here for custom canvas.  I am not close enough to that point yet but will want a cover as well.  Im thinking about a canopy as well, cant take that sun anymore!  Hope you are enjoying Lila!

I've emailed Trailex but after a few questions from me, they don't respond. Our local outfitter is a Trailex dealer also. They answered my initial email and were checking with the home company(Trailex) and I haven't heard anymore in over 2 weeks. I like the 850 trailer Surfer Bill has but not sure how to get one. These larger trailers do not ship in a box and come assembled. Trailex wanted $1200 just for the shipping. I'm going to have a tight fit in my garage with a trailer much longer than Bills.

I looked online and found the assembly manual for a 850 Trailex. It looks very nicely crafted and should be great for your Peeler.

http://www.trailex.com/Instructional%20Sheets/UT-850MIIIWT.pdf

My dermatologist is all over me about the sun so I need to get a bimini top also and soon. Have you found any that look ok? - would they best fold forward or aft? I would like to get stainless bows and fittings but might not be able to afford them. Let me know how you keep the sun off.

Thanks for sharing the assembly manual.  Mine is a bit different with it more set up for the Peeler.  My biggest concern with this trailer is the length.  If it is a problem, I can easily get a longer tongue beam and simply replace the shorter one.

Im thinking the bimini could fold down either way, maybe aft though to keep it out of the way while not in use.  I am seriously considering making my boat a center console with a small high box/leaning post for a center seat so I dont lose much room.  I dont plan on rowing her like you can.  Once I am finished with the build I will consult the canvas makers in my area.  They do a lot of custom work.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.