Jimmy Skiff order of operations

Hi,

First of all, I've never built a boat :). I decided to take the money I would have spent on summer camps and make it a project with my kids.

I've read the manual a couple of times and I have a point of confusion that I'm hoping someone can clarify. Specifically, it looks like the hull is built and glassed and then things are screwed onto it (like the skeg, seats, etc.). 

Wouldn't that produce holes in the glassing on the hull? Would it make sense to complete the the hull and then glass over the screws etc.?

1 reply:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Jimmy Skiff order of operations

The problem with glassed-over screws is getting them out again. (And you will eventually want to remove the screws for maintenance.) Not only is the screw covered with glass, but to keep bubbles from forming over the screw heads you'd have to cover the screw heads with some kind of filler and sand them smooth before glassing.

The solution is to use the drill-fill-dril method described here. In fact, check ou the whole series of Shop Tips posted by CLC. Lots of good stuff there.

Another thing to keep in mind is that much of what is screwed in place can be glued in place. Or, you could use temporary screws to hold it in place until the glue cures. Once it's solid enough not to move, take out the screws and fill the holes with epoxy/woodflour mix.

I have 5 S&G boats in my fleet ranging from a pirogue to an 18-ft schooner and none of them have a single structural screw.

Have fun,

Laszlo

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.