Best Anchor for NE Dory?

About to attempt some mileage on my newly completed dory...Just got the lug sail on the other day.  What would be the ideal set up for ground tackle?  I plan on sailing in the Delaware River and Bay as well as the Chesapeake.  Let me know what you think.  Thanks!

E

6 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Best Anchor for NE Dory?

I'm using 8-lb danforth, 6-ft of chain and 3/4" nylon rode for my 18-ft, under 300-lb schooner.

Laszlo

Hey Erik,

A five or eight pound danforth would be a good choice.  One thing to remember when anchoring is to let out plenty of rode (rope) when anchoring you should let out between 5-7 to 1.  That is for every 1 foot of depht of the water, you sould let out 5 to 7 feet of rope.  It is all about the geometry and leverage.

For most applications you will be able to get by with a really light anchor.  Last weekend while fishing on the York River in a pretty strong tide and a 10-15 mph wind I just used a light folding grappeling anchor like this:

It did a great job of holding me in place.

On a side note. I'm hoping to make it over to the Eastern Shore for a couple of sails as well as Assateague Bay.  I'll let you know when and maybe we could meet for a sail.

Best regaurds,

Skip

Hi Skip

Which anchor did you choice for your NE Dory as I am getting ready purchase one and hear how yours worked out.

bj

DO NOT get that folding grappeling anchor, not good for sand , gets stuck in rocks and folds/unfolds when you dont want it to. west marine sells a small bruce anchor that works great. tie off your line at the anchor claw end and zip tie it to the neck [where it looks like you'd normaly tie it] that way if it snags a good yank breaks the zip tie and you pull the anchor out backwards. a chain helps make the anchor sit right and the weight of it acts like a shock absorber but its probably not neccessary

Almost any anchor can be configured to have the anchor line secured to the very base and then either a light cord or small zip tie to the eye on the shaft. With a kayak or other small boat it is easy enough to manuver either directly above or behind the anchor and either pull it directly up or bakcwards.

Remember you are not mooring a 35 foot cruiser to a perminent mooring, so select an anchor weight and size for your boat size and task to performing. Also include enough anchor line to absorb any changes in water level due to tides. If leaving the kayak or small boat unattended or overnight, I would look at beaching the craft and tying it to an immovable object above the high tide mark.

The small Bruce style anchor is what I use for kayak fishing, they are a great design all purpose anchor, and I used one on our cruising sailboat.  For a smaller boat, in the Chesapeake and Delaware River, which I think is mostly  soft bottoms, I would consider the  FX 7 Fortress anchor.  An aluminum Danforth style, is light weight, breaks down for storage, and tests out to have better holding power than conventional danforths.  It also has flukes that can be adjusted for very soft mud bottoms. Weight and storage size are important to small boats.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.