eastport pram flotation

My sons and I are building the Eastport Pram and are in the process of sanding prior to the first coat of epoxy. I hadn't thought of it untill now, but would have liked to have had some form of flotation under the bow and stern thwart. Now that they are sealed off, could this possibly be accomplished with an expandable spray foam injected through a small hole into these areas? Anybody attempted this? I know I would need to be carefull not to over do it as this stuff can expand with some real force. Thanks, Steve 

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: eastport pram flotation

The chambers under the bow and stern seats are sealed (with watertight access ports) are they not? If you can keep them from leaking, that's the best type of flotation that you can have. Foam will add weight, can deteriorate, and would interfere with ventilating the chamber during storage, which is important. You would also lose storage space to keep your valuables dry while you're afloat.

If you are worried about them getting holed, or leaking rapidly, you could temporarily fill the chambers with kayak air bags, or lots of small light airtight containers like empty plastic soda bottles. But they would also interfere with drying and ventilating the chambers if they aren't removed before the boat is stored. But I would stay away from permanently installing foam in any enclosed wooden boat spaces.

Old Yeller

RE: eastport pram flotation

Thanks for the advice, I had concerns about moisture being trapped in that area as well, but plans did not call for an access port. I would like to add one fore and aft both for inspection as well as storage space while sailing. A small hinged door near the top of the bow and stern bulkheads? Is there a better method? Thanks

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.