Northeaster Dory launch

I finished a six month build of my Northeaster Dory "Blue Heron" on Memorial Day weekend.  Memorial Day I dropped it in for a row on the James River... the boat did great ...my rowing skills a little rusty.  Since then, I've taken her for a row & sail on the York River three times.  Yesterday, was the first time taking the a fishing rod.  The fishing wasn't the greatest, I think the Tropical Storm may have turned off the fishing a bit.  Still there I caught enough for dinner.  Most of the day was spent sailing.  "Blue Heron" sails well upwind.  Yesterday was a little challenging in that the tide was out going and the wind picked up blowing from the SE straight up the river.  As these Two forces battled each other they set up waves 1& 1/2 to 2 feet.  The boat handled everything it was given with grace.

see some of the build on flickr.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/blue_heron_rva/

Best regards,

Skip

5 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Northeaster Dory launch

Nice catch! That looks like the perfect day out, in a gorgeous boat.

Great Boat!

Man, I like those inwales...seriously, how tricky were they to do?  I sense a winter project coming on for my NE Dory.

Erik,

Thanks, the inwales weren't too bad.  I'd planned them from the start.  They are cherry stained clear pine.  They took a little bit persuation to get the curve and a lot of clamps.

SKip

Good looking boat and nice catch!

Hey Skip great looking dory especially the bright work just in time to enjoy the summer breezes

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.