Paper Catalog

I just received the CLC paper catalog in the mail. I didn't ask to receive a catalog.  It weighs over 1/2 lb.  I was surprised that this company would send catalogs unsolicited to customers.  I contacted customer service and expressed my displeasure at this, and got several arguments most of which are in the category of everybody does it: "it's common business practice," is how the rep put it.  Never did the rep say they would pass my concerns on to management.  So, I'm raising the issue here.  Discussion? 

11 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Paper Catalog

Got mine, too. After building several boats and planning on several more I still like looking at a print version of the catalog. Might not be the "greenest" way to do business but it doesn't offend me. You could just pass yours on to someone interested in boat building or leave it at your doctors office next time you visit. That way somebody might decide to order something from CLC and all those trees won't have died for nothing! 

George K

Really?

I just got mone, too. Actually, I received TWO of them. I love browsing through it and plan to pass both of them along to friends, I think it's the best kind of recycling. I don't take offense.

Jim

Well Dave, send it back, shouldn't be a problem. I couldn't wait to get mine.

I enjoy the pictures in the catalog even though I dont plan to buy another kit anytime soon.  I get many catalogs from companies I have ordered from once and havent ordered from in years.  If you dont like it just ask to be removed from the mailing list and paddle on, sheesh.

I had to weigh mine just to verify...8.3 oz.

Personally I think it's one of the nicest catalogs out there. And the fact that it has customer built boats in it makes it even better.

Dan

The paper catalogue is invaluable! I was an the recent Butler County Get Outdoors Day and in fact requested 15 extra copies of th catalogue because I was displaying all of my 3 CLC builds, a Passagemaker DInghy, Night Heron Hybrid and Shearwater Sport Hybrid. Folks passing by talked with me for extended periods and were delighted when I told them that they could pick up a catalogue and later on go on-line to salivate over their options.

This is certainly how it worked for me when (4 years ago) I passed the CLC booth at the Annapolis Sailboat Show and pick up a catalogue. For months I poured over the catalogue - later on in conjunction with the on-line site - unitl I decided to take the plunge and order a kit even though I had never worked with wood before.

It was one of the best things I ever did and I doubt it would have culminated in this outcome if it had not been for an honest-to-goodness brochure.

So there... keep your brochure in your car and next time someone stops and asks you about your boat. give them the brochure.

If you have extra copies you can't use, pass them on or recycle them.

Cheers,

Chris

Keep a copy in the boat right next to the cedar bucket. Entertainment and utility.

Oh!  Thats what the cedar bucket is for...

All I can say is that I was very appreciative of getting the print catalogue. Maybe I am biased though, the picture of my MicroBootlegger is front and center in this years catalogue

George

I truly enjoy the catalogs and always appreciate CLC keeping me on their mailing list.  My one and only complaint is a marketing one: if they are going to revamp the catalog and the photos than they need to revamp the content of the corresponding text. It makes it a far far better read . The same old: kayaks have sailed as long as time- or some such is just so worn. If your gonna revamp the the  catalog the newer descriptions are an oppurtunity to reach more people who might just as well shelve the older text.

But I do enjoy the cats in the mail every time without exception.

Pete

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.