Attaching hull and deck on WD12

Well the weather in Wiscosin has finally gotten warm enough to bring the hull and deck of my first WD hybred out of the basement and into the garage to glue them together.  I didnt do this in the basement because it would have just contributed to urban legend.    The deck and hull were completed and set aside a couple months ago while I started to work on my second WD deck (you cant have just one Kayak) but while they were  sitting in the corner they have deffinitly changed shape so mating them together will be a struggle.

I'm looking for assistance in how to mate and hold them together while I put in the fillits.   Also.. the hatch cover I cut out so carefully back in April now has a much different curvature than the rest of the hull I cut it out of.  Is this a problem or will it flatten out when I attach it back to the hull? By the way, I named my first boat LEARNING CURVE.

Thanks in advance for everyones assistance.

1 reply:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Attaching hull and deck on WD12

If you built the cedar strip deck on temporary molds inserted into the plywood hull, it should be a pretty good mate. If the hull has sprung in a bit since you removed the molds, and you have an "overbite" issue, you can install temporary spreader sticks at the problem points to flex it out a bit to match the deck assembly. And you can use ratcheting band clamps or plastic shrink wrap to flex the deck in a bit to match the spread hull. If you have an "underbite," take the opposite approach. Great name, by the way, and happy paddling to you.

Jim

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.