Question about Rowing my Dory

Been rowing my dory a bit while I wait on my sail and I have two questions that I hope some of you avid rowers can answer:

1.  Why do I keep crabbing the same oar?  My left arm (starboard oar) keeps popping out of the oarlock.  Is there something I'm missing?  It only happens every so often but it seems noteworthy that its always the same oar.

2.  Any Dory owners (with sail setup) know of a quick way to keep water from sloshing up my back?  I will make a cover for it eventually...but stuffing a lifejacket in there only seems to work a little.

Thoughts?

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Question about Rowing my Dory

Regarding the crabbing on the left, one answer may be that since the oar handles overlap, and for most rowers that means left hand over right hand during the stroke (left over right).  Because the left oar handle is slightly higher, the result is that the left oar blade is closer to the water.  In traditional sculling, proper technique calls for keeping the hands together during the stroke.  So, try either pushing both hands down a bit for more clearance or consider adding blocks (can't think of the right word) on top of the sides of the boat and raising the oarlocks.  Sculling boats have devices like a C ring that can be inserted to raise and lower the oar lock.

Regarding the splashing, try a towel!  That's what I'm going to do when I launch my dory.

Good luck.

I put risers on the rails of my dory. Mount the oar sockets on them and the angle of the oar will change when it enters the water. They sell them here on the CLC website or you can make your own. That will probably solve your crab problem.

I made a dummy plug out of trex decking and pvc pipe to place in the dagger board box while rowing and running downwind under sail. The trex fits inside, is as long as the box is deep and keeps the water from sloshing up through in all but the worst conditions. The pvc pipe is screwed to the top end of the trex, is wider than the slot and keeps the plug from falling through.

When surfing down steep waves downwind, some water will still get forced up and into the boat, but that will be the least of your problems in those conditions :-)

Many daysailor boats have strips of rubber the full length (on each side) of the centerboard slot on the bottom of the boat, or/and on the top of the centerboard trunk that meet in the middle and naturally part when lowering or raising the centerboard (or dagger board on the dory).  

The bottom one also helps keep sand and gravel out of the trunk..although any that does get in needs to be cleaned out if the natural motion of putting in the centerboard doesnt push them out

Anyone think that would work?

Curt (soon to begin building a dory)

It seems that CLC should be able to come up with a solution for this. Perhaps?

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.