Hey! Where'd everybody go?

Didn't Okoumefest start at 5:00 today? We got there at 4:30 and Pocket Ship was coming to the dock to leave.

Seriously, never count on a specific time with a new boat. By the time I finally got the last bit finished today and got on the road through Annapolis it was after 3:00. Then there was rigging it for actual sailing for the first time. So we really did see Pocket Ship leaving just as we were hitting the water.

We had a pleasant sail anyway. Went by the Okounefest beach, saw the guys taking down the canopy, washing the boats, all the Watertribers, etc. There was also an NE Dory on the water but a balky rudder kept us from coming alongside.

So far all the gang that I normally see on the beach, sorry I missed everyone. Maybe next year.

Laszlo

6 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Hey! Where'd everybody go?

Sorry we missed you too, Laszlo. It was a really great day with lots of very nice boats, including 3! Microbootleggers.

Dan

Laszlo

What new boat did you bring? - you said you got to sail it? Pocket Ship? We need pictures!

Danthaler

What are microbootleggers? Coctail Class hydros?

Micro-bootlegger

Dan,

Micro-bootleggers! I'm sorry I missed them. I've been wanting to see a live one for a while now. I bet the 3 made a pretty little flotilla.

Robert.

It was the Puzzled Mullet, my variation on Bolger's Singlehanded Schooner. I scaled it 96% to make it fit in my garage, redesigned it from plywood on frame to stitch & glue, made composite carbon fiber masts and composite spars and added a roller furler for the jib.

The cockpit coaming is laminated from light & dark cedar, the coamings and trim are radiata pine. The rest of the boat is 1/4" okoume for the deck and sides, 3/8" for the bulkheads and 1/2" for the bottom. Although this is not one of CLC's designs, virtually everything except for the sails and pine was bought from CLC. CLC precut puzzle joints on the okoume so I was able to make up the 18 foot long sheets without scarphing or butt blocks.

The boat is completely glassed, inside and out, with 4 oz. glass except on the outside bottom and the underside of the deck. Those are covered in 6 oz glass. More construction details at:

http://www.morocz.com/BoatBuilding/SchoonerBuild.htm

There were the usual shakedown cruise glitches, mostly a loose setscrew on the rudder, but it was a comfortable and pleasant sail. Even with those light winds it still scooted right along. Next year I'll be there to play with the dories and pocket ships

Laszlo

Very Neat design and continues your high standards. I'll be interested in knowing if you will need some interior balast in the future. John C. has a double ender on the drawing board - Pocket Change- which may become a yawl rigged sharpie someday. Have you seen Ross Lillistone's Little Egret design? Here is a link to it's first build.Reminds me of your new project.

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?139737-Little-Egret-an-Egret-style-day-sailer

Laszlo,

Looks good. Looking forward for a ride at St. Michaels. Shouldnt be any bugs left by then!

I met a micro-surgeon once, was really disappointed in his six foot frame.

George K

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.