graphite/epoxy

I am refinishing my SW 17 S&G built in 2009. I would like to paint the bottom of the hull with a graphite/epoxy mix. I did that on my Night Heron and find it very durable. On the SW I originally painted the hull. Will I need to sand off the paint or will the graphite/epoxy mix adhere to a sanded painted surface. Thanks, Mark

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: graphite/epoxy

The bottom two panels of my sail rigged West Rivet 180 is graphite epoxy - nice black and it does t scratch off like paint. I applied it right over the clear epoxied cloth. 

But about prepping...

i just through sanding the dickens out of my kayak . I used outdoor latex BEHR paint. Its a beast to remove but a stack of used sanding disks later - its done. The thing is this - there are thin spots here and there where a little latex remains. Its sanded way smooth and flat and frankly that's good enough for me.  I'm covering it up with a different color outdoor latex and I don't see it being a problem. To that end, so long as its sanded thin and a minimal portion of the overall coat of epoxy/graphite I don't see it being detrimental at all. That's my opinion anyway. If it were a joint - say where both panels conf together to form your bow - you'd want a pure epoxy bond to wood due to the stresses that could (do) arise from whatever. Merely skinning out the hull in epoxy graphite on an already established strong hull to me is perfectly sound. I'd keep it to a minimum - it shouldn't create issues. 

Pete

I added epoxy/graphite to the bottom of my Shearwater 17 this winter. I sanded all the varnish off first. You can tell the varnish is gone when the sanding dust turns from yellow (varnish) to white (epoxy).

Dan

I was able to tell where it was varnish and where it was epoxy by rubbing it with a rag wet with denatured alcohol. The varnished areas were sticky/gummy, while the clean epoxy was slick and smooth.

Laszlo

Thanks guys, did my sanding and epoxy/graphite application yesterday. Turned out very nice. Mark

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.