Kayak Carts for a Chesapeake Double

I am planning on a long river trip in Texas that will require multiple portages, possibly  toting the cart up to a mile. The terrain will vary from grass to road to rock to sand.  Please give me some recommendations.

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Kayak Carts for a Chesapeake Double

We have a couple of these and love them. Ingenious design stows beautifully in the hatches. Don't have the optional Sidewinders, but they also look interesting for use on soft sand. Stay away from their inflatable tires, if they still sell those.

http://www.c-tug.net/

Old Yeller

My dad just showed me this cart.  Its a home built cart made from PVC and other easy to aquire items.  The plans are easy to follow and according to my dad, the cart is very strong and breaks down very nicely.  It is designed to fit in standard kayak internal storage. 

The site is http://palmettokayakfishing.blogspot.com/2011/04/diy-bulletproof-kayak-cart-build.html, but if you run a google search for palmetto kayak cart, it will pop up. 

Hope that helps

I have a C-tug dolly and it works great.  I originally got it for portages but  I mostly use it to move my Sunfish sailboat from my garage to my boat ramp

The rubber tires are fine as long as you keep them pumped up but a standard air compressor won't fit them. I had to pump mine up using one of those portable air compressors like you carry in a car.   I would reccomend filling them with foam which is what I did with mine after I got tired of them being flat whever I wanted to use the cart.

The C-Tug inflatable wheels I tried would not hold air for more than a couple of hours. C-Tug explained their source for inner tubes dried up, and they have not been able to find a source for good ones. I considered trying to find better tubes locally, but the C-Tug tires also gave off a strong chemical odor that permeated the entire house. When I heard solid wheels were available that was the way I went, and I've been happy with them. It's a very good cart.

Old Yeller

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.