It floats!!! - Shearwater Sport Hybrid Launched

I finished it just in time for a camping trip with my Dad and brothers.  I'm pretty sure the last coat of brightside was still curing as I drove it to the park.  We put it in the water yesterday morning and I couldn't believe how smooth it paddled.  I had a lot of fun building it and learned a lot during th process.  Thanks CLC!

Mark Steele

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: It floats!!! - Shearwater Sport Hybrid Launched

Beautiful! I like the look of the white hull and natural strip planking on the topside. 

Nice work. Is the black on the deck painted or stained?

Brightside takes a couple of weeks to fully cure, so you are probably right about it not being cured at launch.

-Wes

Thanks for the kind words.  The dark areas are walnut strips from CLC (I built from a kit).  The light are white cedar.  No stain was used.  The walnut looks almost black next the cedar in the photo.  In reality, it is a deep chocolate brown.   I liked the contrast between the two colors and chose to go with just the two colors instead using the "medium" (red cedar, I believe) strips as well.

The original plan was to finish the entire thing 'bright'.  However, due to some overzealous sanding, I chose to go with the white hull/cockpit.  I actually think it looks better this way than it would have as a bright hull.  I hosed it off when I got home today and noticed a few scratches and scars in the white.  So, yes, I agree that the brightside wasn't fully cured.  I'll probably end up sanding and putting another coat on it this fall. 

Mark 

Thats very nice indeed. I'm a huge fan of paint on the hull to contrast with the deck.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.