deck recess

I'm building a micro bootlegger and was watching Nich Schade's video and saw that he added a deck recess to his build. I'm obviously on a much different(lower) level than nick, but really like the look and function of the recess. The plans only came with the drawing for the cockpit cut out and nothing on the recess. Is there a set way to determine the size of the recess? or is this something that you determine on your own? I'm just trying to figure out how best to do this. Thanks

1 reply:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: deck recess

I am assuming you are building a solo microbootlegger which has plenty of width to building a cockpit recess.

On Nick's website you will get some ideas of shapes and proportions of the recesses from looking at some of has drawing, such as for the Night Heron or Guillemot

http://www.guillemot-kayaks.com/guillemot/node/29/draw

At the widest point of the cockpit cutout, I usually have the recess cutout 1/4 to 1/2 inch wider than the cockpit cutout.  The front of the recess cutout looks good at 2 to 4 inches from the cockpit cutout, and the same with the rear of the cockpit.  Most of the design is up to you.  I would make a couple of templates from poster board, and select a design.  I usually follows the lines of the cockpit shape for my recess, with narrowing to 1/4 to 1/2 inch at the widest point from the cockpit, to flaring the the recess to 2 to 4 inches in front of the cockpit cutout.

If the back of your cockpit is straight vs curve, I usually make the cockpit recess more straight.  Again it is what is pleasing to you.  You shouldn't have a problem with width, but you do not want to have a wide recess that significantly hits curves close to the sheerlines.  I french curve help get the shape you are looking for.

K.Greer

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.