Some general advice?

Anyone have any thoughts on the pros and cons of:

1. A sealing coat of unthickened epoxy before 'glassing?

2. Seal-coating the inner surfaces of all separate panels before initially wiring up the hull?

3. 'Glassing the inner surfaces of all hull panels only in the area of the cockpit, where there's not too much bending, before assembling the hull?

It's a Wood Duckling, BTW.

Thanks.

Jim

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Some general advice?

An inside seal coat job is fine. I do it. Best to wire up the hull while the epoxy is still green because when fully kicked it can make the wood stiff and hard to curve. 

I usually lay on the glass and then apply epoxy, but last time I used 3.25 oz FG that was tightly woven - satin finish??? - and it did not let out gas bubbles out but trapped them under the cloth. Next time I use that glass I will seal caot the surface first. 

I would do any glass cloth application after the hull is stitched, filleted, and locked in straight position. 

RE: Some general advice?

I would follow the sequence in the manual. Bending the panels at the bow is entertaining enough without making it really stiff, or trying to do it quickly before the glue sets. I can't see any benefit to making your life harder. I agree with hokeyhydro, get the shape locked in before you put the glass on.

On the inside of the cockpit area of the duckling I made, I did the first layup all in one go. Make the fillets, put tape on whilst the fillets are wet, then wet out the tape, then epoxy on the wood, and then lay the cloth on and wet out the cloth.  On the outside, I would smooth the cloth out first, so you can get it to conform nicely to the shape, then wet out.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.