varnishing the deck

Okay, I love sanding!

After completing the varnish on the hull, I am ready to move to the deck. I have had good results with the verticle then horizontal brush strokes on the hull. Any suggestions on how to do this for the deck?

I am thinking about starting with the combing and then working fore and aft. I think this will allow me to smooth out any drips from the combing.

Thoughts/suggestions?
Thanks

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: varnishing the deck

I would recommend you start at the stern or bow, and work towards the other end.  In doing so you only have to worry about keeping a wetted edge on two sides.  Starting with the combing and working towards the ends you will have to keep a wetted edge in four areas, which will increase the possibly you will skip one.

How do deal with the combing?  I usually start at the stern and work towards the bow,keeping a wetted edge on both sides of the kayak.  When I reach the cockpit, I quickly apply varnish around cockpit lip.  Then I resume  varnishing on each side of the deck, varnishing the cockpit riser and recess as I go.

K.Greer

RE: varnishing the deck

Here's another approach: Since you don't need to be concerned about a wet edge between the the coaming and the deck, varnish the coaming first. Then follow dogger54's advice to work from one end of the deck to the other. Be sure to mask the hull so you don't get drips on it. -Wes

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.