varnish

i built my first kayak, it looks great, but no matter how hard i try, i and up with dust on my varnish. i wet sand between coats to remove it but my last coat i want it smooth, any suggestions would be great,dave

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: varnish

I know we discussed this before on this forum and on the Guillemot forum and there are a lot of recommendations.

Unless you are in a positive airflow paint booth, we will have some dust pickers know matter how hard you try.  the question is how to minimize them and how to remove if possible from the final varnish surface.

Some tips given out before on a clean environment.

1) clean shop, especially around your work area.  I dont't clean every corner...ie.. let sleeping dogs. Clean the areas that you travel or will kick up dust.

2)  Wet floor around your work area.

3) Clean fluorescent lights above and/or garage doors.

During my final varnish coat, I spend extra time cleaning the area and trying to find where the dust is coming from and taking remedial action.

If you do get some dust pickers, don't sweat it unless you are building a musuem quality kayak.

How to get the some dust pickers out of the final coat?  I have used a polish or rubbing compound after the varnish has cure.   Wait several weeks or so.

You could eliminate dust pickers by using similar techniques to color sanding a car.  Start with 400 wet and sand up to 2000 grit.  Then go to several grades of rubbing compound and then finish off with a wax job.

Check your varnish manufacturer about wet sanding your final coats.  I know I call Interlux about Schooner Gold, and they told me if you sand this varnish it will lose its UV protection.

Hopefull this helps you out!

K.Greer

Here is a trick that the classic wood boat crowd has used for years!  I have used it myself for over35 years.

Final coat of varnish.

1. Do not push it make sure it is well cured.

2.Buffing.

3M Finesse-it compound

Use ONLY a 3M foam foam buffing pad

Apply small amount of Finesse-it to pad work a small area lightly slowly added pressure as compound drys.

Finsh buff with soft cloth or 3M wool buffing pad.

Your finish will buff up smooth with a deep rich shine.

*You can also use this process on brightside paint. 

In addition to cleaning out the shop, wetting down the floor, and allowing dust time to settle before varnishing or painting, I find the most effective dust barrier is suspending a sheet of polyethylene over the boat while finishing.

I also use marine urethane instead of varnish. Urethane gives a harder, clearer, brighter, and longer lasting finish; is much easier to apply; sets up quicker, giving dust less opportunity to attach; requires fewer coats; and costs half as much as varnish.

-Wes

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.