Carbon Fiber or just paint it?

I am building the Shearwater 17 hybrid. Deck is stripped, hull is glassed inside and out. I plan on going with the black hull and thought about adding some black on the cockpit apron and cockpit ring. If I were to do carbon fiber, which would go first, the glass on the deck to the cockpit or the carbon fiber.  If it were too much trouble I could always paint it.

I did an awesome job on the strips and used plywood as the cockpit ring and don't like the contrast in woods. I like the black but wasn't sure which way to approach it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Carbon Fiber or just paint it?

One Ocean Kayak website will help you build a carbon fiber lip for scratch.

http://www.oneoceankayaks.com/Wshophtm/Shop15.htm

I cannot tell from your message whether you actually glue down the cockpit riser/ring and cockpit lip?

If the cockpit lip and riser are already built it is easy to just lay carbon fiber over the already built cockpit lip

If this is the case I would do the following:

Put two layers of carbon fiber( to cover the wood underneath) and one layer of fiberglass as your final layup.

It is easier to sand and final epoxy fill of the fiberglass weave versus carbon fiber.  Carbon fiber doesn't sand well, at least this is my experience.

Hopefully, this helps

I don't have the cockpit lip on yet. I guess what I meant to ask was if the carbon went on the coaming apron first, and then the final layer of glass on the whole deck including over the carbon. I am trying to avoid a bump or lip aft of the cockpit. Or if it will even be noticable. Thanks again!

I usually have several layers of fiberglass on the cockpit recess, cockpit risers, cockpit lips.

I lay the fiberglass on the whole deck after the cockpit recess  is built because it is easier to fiberglass a flat surface.  I  next build the cockpit riser, with wood strips or plywood.  I put another layer of fiberglass that covers the riser and the cockpit recess area.  You will not have bump if you feather the edge of the second layer of fiberglass, and fill with several layers of epoxy.  My final step is to build the cockpit lip out of carbon fiber/fiberglass per the One Ocean procedures as described above.

This is just one approach to building the cockpit for an example..

Jeremy...what did you end up doing for the cockpit ring?

Do you have pictures, how did the hull painting go.  I painted mine blue and very happy with results

http://www.flickr.com/photos/greyskies/8090722180/in/set-72157631776956699

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.