Amine Blush Issue

I constructed my Aka's for my CLC Sail Rig and wanted to speed the process by using medium hardner epoxy knoing that it would blush.  I have cleaned it with soap and water and sanded it. I used a scrubby pad and worked really hard to ensure that I would have no issues.  So then I added a coat of non blushing epoxy and you could tell it was not curing as it should. You could tell that it was not even. I have used blushing epoxies before and know what it looks like when there is blush that has not removed. I beleive its due to residual blush.  So I sanded the aka's down really well  a second time and scrubbed with soap and water.  Unfortunately, same result.   My question is, do you think Toulene will resolve my issue?  It seems like a last resort, I would prefer not to use a solvent but I will if I have to.  

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Amine Blush Issue

The amine is water soluble, and probably fairly insoluble in toluene. I woud stick with the soap and water. Try hot water, a little soap, and lots of rinsing. When you sand, use wet n dry paper, again with lots of hot soapy water, and plenty of rinsing. Once it is all completely clear, and free of detergent, clean water should form a totally even film on the surface, rather than break away in spots. 

RE: Amine Blush Issue

FYI - I have washed down and scrubbed really well, sanded, and I am still having the issue on an in-even curing of a second and 3rd coat of non-blushing epoxy.  It's the same manufacturer as the medium Hardener.   It seems to me that I need to Chang Emmy process and that a solvent may be needed.  I don't want to get to the point of varnishing and still have the same issues.   I have not had this issue to this extent before, I built an CLC 17 and now I am building the sail rig.  

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.