CA glue

What are the limits of using CA glue?  I used it today to glue a strip in place that was trying to torque it's way out of position.  It has held so far, and when adjoining strips get installed they will absorb some of the stresses.  Is it reasonably close to wood glue as far as strength is concerned?

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: CA glue

I owned a hobby shop when CA glue came on the scene. Limits? No specs but CA did seem brittle when used for non-porus parts joins, as it didn't take shock well. But it was the bomb for asembling model airplanes - you know, back in they day when you actually had to build your plane. CA loved balsa, didn't like spruce or pine spars, but . . . we would trim out all the parts, toss them in the model box alomg with a handful or two of BAKING SODA, shake box, and assemble parts. I was even gluing busted off hose nipples on poly window washer tanks with CA by finger tamping a filltet of baking sode around the break and then gently dropping thin CA on the fillet = puffa smoke, deal done = like concrete.

I would not depend on CA for an entire boat sturcture, but I guess a spot fix will be fine. If your strips are cedar be careful - CA soaks through wood like crazy and you may wind up with your pushing finger glued to the wood. Been there, done that . . . 

RE: CA glue

I used it for the 'spot welding' setp of my kaholo SUP.  It was very easy to use.  I highly reccomend using the activator with it.

Like Hokey said, I wouldn't use it for structural builds but for spot welds that will be later filleted and epoxied.  It has been my experience that it works great.  

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.