How do I know when weave is filled?

Hopefully I will finally be starting to glass the exterior of my Kaholo tomorrow or thursday, but I feel like there is a lack of info in the manual on how many extra applications of epoxy are required after the first one.  The manual says something like "you will need to use at least two more coats of epoxy to fill the weave." But it does not say what a filled weave looks like. I was hoping someone on here could describe it to me so I do not use too much or too little.

Thanks,

Bret

5 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: How do I know when weave is filled?

There's an excellent article in the "Tips for Boatbuilders" section of this site that explains the process very well.  It's called "Filling the Weave".  I followed those recomendations when glassing my Kaholo, sanding lightly after the second coat of epoxy and more thoroughly on the third coat.  You want to end up with a mirror-smooth coat of epoxy, looking like a smooth coat of varnish.  I highly recommend using blue masking tape to keep runs of epoxy under control, and the use of scrapers to make quick work of the runs that get away from you anyway and for blending in the edges of the cloth.  Much faster and easier to control than sandpaper alone.

Here's the link to the Shop Tip on filling the weave.

Filling the weave

Awesome,

great help as always on this forum

How long does one have to wait in between coats of epoxy? If I do one in the morning can I go back at night to do another? Also, how long between the initial glass of the bottom and the one on top?

thanks again

There is a good video at http://www.clcboats.com/shoptips/strip_planking/cotton_swab.html the shows how to tell when you can apply the next coat of epoxy.

Regards,  Mike

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.