Mill Creek 16.5 panels don't line up at stern

Building a MC 16.5 from plans.  Double checked all the panel dimensions, and everything looks right.  I stitched the bilge and sheer panels from bow to stern, and with the bow all lined up, the bilge panels extend about 3.5" beyond the bottom panel before turning up at the stern.  It would be easy enough to trim the bilge and sheer panels, but I am not sure if that is necessary or adviseable.

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Mill Creek 16.5 panels don't line up at stern

I've noticed the same thing with my build. Did you resolve this? Or can anyone else advise if this is normal, or otherwise?

mine dont either. right side bilge panel extends out 1/4 inch beyond the sheer panel. left side bilge panel sticks out 1/8 inch beyond the sheer panel. the booklet says this will be addressed later?

>>>the bilge panels extend about 3.5" beyond the bottom panel >>

This was intentional.  Drawn together at the stern in a smooth, hollow curve, the bilge panels form a built-in skeg that helps tracking a lot.

I'd note that the panels in the kits have diverged a good bit from the plans over the last 18 years.  The relationship between bottom and bilge panel has been tweaked in the kits so that it's a little more intuitive.

This year we're changing out the plans for the Mill Creek 13 and 16.5, substituting full-sized patterns for the old table-of-offsets.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.