Strip deck bead or cove out for centerline strips?

Just about to add the centerline strips to the deck (or kingplank as sometimes known).  The wood duck manual seems to advocate putting these strips bead-out, and everything I've seen recommends putting the bead side out for the sheer/side strips.  However, this means that subsequent side strips meeting the centerline strips will need to have a cove cut into their ends to nest with the centerline strip.  I'm doing a side-herringbone pattern where each set of strips alternately follows the center and sheer.  It would seem easier to cut beads into the ends of strips when fitting them (instead of coves).  So I'm assuming I'm better off making the centerline strips face cove-out.  This means that the end of each strip would have a bead cut into it, and not a cove.  

Anybody with experience on this topic like to weigh in on any other factors I'm missing? 

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Strip deck bead or cove out for centerline strips?

I have built several wood strips kayaks and would recommend the following tips:

It is better to cut/taper an "end strip " by planing it to a bead contour to fit into a cove side strip.  ( If you have one Nick Schade's wood strip kayak books this will explain in detail).. He defines the end strip has the strip with the acute angle cut. and the end strip fits into the side strip.

If you cut/taper a end strip for cove contour you will need to have a 1/4 inch file or set up a jig on your router.  This is very time consuming vs quick planing an beaded end strip

So now to lay out your deck, if you use center strips they need to be a cove side to accept the end strip with a bead contour,and the sheerline strip needs to display the cove side strip as well to accept the end strip with a planed bead.

To make this happen.  If you are using two center line strips, rip the bead off each strip and do a 'rolling bevel" with your block planing to fit each center line strip together.  Now the cove side with be facing towards the sides of the kayak or outbound.  The sheerline strip cove needs to be facing the inside or towards the center strip.

This approach will make it easy in doing the herringbone pattern you like.

Also, has you "close in" the herringbone pattern, you will need to rip cove off the last three or so strips, because it will difficult pop fit a bead and cove strips into a closed area.  You will need to use your planing skills the plane the strips for a tight fit.

I hope this helps.  I know its confusing trying to write about.

Here's several pics to help you see the herringbone pattern, and the side strips that is opened to coves.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-zxQog83aygM/UJ0OGAPQR-I/AAAAAAAABQE/j98KNZ7-rNg/s1600/P7110439.JPG

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-SFELGlqKAs4/UJ0E-vRgf2I/AAAAAAAABNU/vunwFHfCews/s1600/P6220399.JPG

This shows how to fit the strip.  Since to are fitting the beaded strip into a cove, some of it is hidden, so I put the strip to cut up to the opening an mark the cut.  I then plane to fit.  Once the strip is dry fitted, I put register marks on the strips to fit them exactly after I apply glue.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-UVouqYqVQ5I/UJz_hNngCOI/AAAAAAAABLk/aTJjTpvEelI/s1600/P6080367.JPG

Another aproach would be to rip both edges of the King plank pieces, and use a rolling bevel to join them, and also use a rolling bevel to fit the deck strips to the King plank, eliminating any need to make a bead on on the deck strips where they meet the King plank.  

Thanks - your explanation makes total sense because this is what I was thinking.  Rereading the section in Nick's books is what made me realize that this way would be better.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.