Space between bulkheads and cockpit is huge -- how to fill?

See attached images illustrating large spacing between bulkheads and cockpit. Bulkheads fit nicely into hull or tight up against sheerclamps but not both, so i glued to the former and now I face the repercussions of my choice. Concerns about kayak strength or integrity? Ideas or solutions before attempting to apply epoxy with cab o sil to this huge space?

11 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Space between bulkheads and cockpit is huge -- how to fill?

This is my first build.I am building a Chesapeake 17. The bulkheads contained in the kit were too small, and didn't fit right. I noticed the packaging was labeled for the C 17 LT. I called CLC and they sent the correct ones and they fit perfectly. With out knowing what you are building I suspect you may have the wrong bulkheads.

I forgot to mention, your pix are not available.

I have no idea how to add images. The formum only gives me the option of providing a url to an image. Maybe because I am using a Mac?? The gap between deck and bulkhead is about 1/2 an inch.  I am building a Shearwater 14. Thanks for any insights you can provide.

I had the same issue, I wired the bulkheads in place (temp.) and used fillets covered by glass tape to fill in the gaps.  The epoxy and glass do a fine job of holding the bulkheads in place, and I don't think there's any structural compromise in doing it this way.

It sound like you already glued the bulkheads and you have a major gap, and you probably cannot remove the bulkhead.  I trying to visualize the gap is on the deck side by the sheerclamps per your previous message. If you cannot remove the bulkhead you only option is to patch it. 

Options:  (Patch Option) You can cut some poster board as a template to the approximate shape of the bulkhead on the deckside.  Tape the template on the bulkhead and use a compass to trace the contour of the sheerclamps and deck area on the poster board template, and transfer this to a new section of bulkhead covering the gap and enough surface area to glue to the old bulkhead..  Maybe you can make it look like a decorated design... kinda like a valance.

(Create a new bulkhead) Or you can use poster board to cut a new bulkhead template, transfer to a new bulkhead made from..plywood/fiberglass or whatever and glue to the old bulkhead to hide it totally. Now to do this you could do it several ways, but maybe you trace you current bulkhead to the poster board, and place(tape) the new poster board template up against the current bulkhead.  Then use some strips of poster board material (tabs) to outline the gaps.  Again, trace this to a new template and it should be on the money with no gaps/spaces.  Now this is similar on how I get tight fitting bulkheads building strip kayaks.  I use a station/form that closely matches where I want a bulkhead, and then use the posterboard tabs to outline the gaps.  Its tedious but works great.  Check out this pic. of bulkhead with outlined tabs.  http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-xuuuyZnAV7w/UJ2Wmx16JkI/AAAAAAAABXw/sWP4Mfg4xEs/s1600/P9290634.JPG

> I have no idea how to add images...

file:///Users/Suzanne/Desktop/bulkheadstern.jpg

Suzanne - the second attempt points to a file on your own hard drive. You need to upload the file to somewhere publcly accessible... e.g. Flickr oe some other web site.

A half inch gap is substantial. If the overall shape is OK and you have fair curves everywhere, and the deck will fit OK, you could just epoxy a strip of wood on top of the bulkhead with some scrap glass to add some strength and then carry on, but perhaps get CLC to confirm there isn't a bulkhead goof first. Remember... they had gaps above the bukheads in the Titanic!

Keith 

On re-reading, it sounds like the gaps are at the bottom of the bulkheads. If the deck fits OK, you could just cut a strip of wood to fill the gap and epoxy it in place. It will add less weight and cost less than filling it with epoxy and cab-o-sil.

Keith

Thanks Keith for the tip. Two images attached (I think).

Bow

stern

ok, trying to post the images another way.

I give up. Thanks all for your suggestions. I'll figure it out somehow.

I'm not giving up yet.  For me I set up a blog to upload my kayak build pics, which makes it easy to copy over the URL.  This is how you do it.

Sign up on www.blogger.com, googles blog website.  There instructions on how to set this up.  You don't need to do anything fancy with templates at this time.  You will name your blog, select a standard template, and create an easy to remember url.

Once you created the blog, select "New Post"(pencil symbol) at the top of the blog webpage.  Then select the picture icon (middle of page, little color window symbol). then follow the instructions of uploading as many pics as you want.

Now to copy urls and pics into this blog:

1) Click "view blog" at the top of the page

2) Move you cursor over the pic you want copy over to CLC forum

3) Right click your cursor and select "Open link to new window". This will create a pic URL.

4) Copy this URL into CLC Forum, and your done.

For me I uploaded all my build pics, and its easy to just copy the URL over to the CLC forum or the Guillemot forum

Good Luck

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.