May have to use Luan on one side?

I ruined one of my sides for my Kaholo. I made two lefts and the, while trying to take off the sheer clamp from one ended up ruining the whole side. I am having exceptional difficulty finding 3 mm okoume again. How much am I sacrificing if I use a piece of Luan for one side of my Kaholo. 

8 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: May have to use Luan on one side?

Ouch! A tad late for you, but nest time you need to disassemble an epoxy joint, use heat - as in an heat gun (souped up hair dryer). Epoxy will give it up over 200 degrees F. 

Sure you don't have enough scrap to fashion a new side by scarfing a few leftover bits?  

I will definitely keep the heat gun in mind for next time. I don't have enough scrap left, but between my first post and now found more 3 mm okoume at a place leas than an hour away  At least I will have enough left over on that sheet to get a good start on whatever project come next. 

The stiffness of the Luna and okume is different and it may effect the shape.  That is, the hull my end up asemetrical.  I built an entire Kaholo out of Luan.  I would not compromise a nice board with one piece of cheap wood.  Luna has a world of deficiencies and you will regret using it.  Maybe some one on the forum will rip off a couple of strips and UPS them to you.

I needed a very small amount of matching plywood when I lost the hatch cover on the freeway. CLC was extremely helpful.

Jsst to second the motion tocall CLC.  They are always helpful. great company.

On my 3rd kayak from them.

ED

Hate to say it....but I did the exact same thing.   After talking on this site for a couple days and hearing of the heat options....I tried it but no luck - it was too hard.   I contacted CLC and they sent me a new peice.   Was expensive for such a a small section but I wanted it to be correct after all the time and effort that goes into building one of these.   Dont' recall the cost anymore - tried to block it out of my memory and just move on.  

Thanks for all the advice, and for making me realize my mistake was not a lone one. 

With some weight and stiffness penalties Liam can be beastly strong. But u may need to go thru some to get it. In your case, I'd go the way this thread suggests. U don't want your craft as symmetrically luan.

Good luck.

Pete

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.