proper fit

after filleting the top and bottom of my woodduck seperatly, now they dont match, the top is wider than the bottom, is this common, and how do i rectify this...thanks

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: proper fit

very common, lightly sand any spots that are out of shape. (where the shear panels attach for example) then get out a putty knife, wide flat blade screwdriver or similar caveman instrument and get ready to wrestle. It helps alot to have two people. I found that it is best to work from front to back. As a last step if necesary to trim the rear deck to the transom.

If you haven't already wired the hull and deck back together, and if the hull areas that need to be spread will be reasonably accessible after you do so, you can use some makeshift spreaders. 

On my WD double I had the same problem in the stern.  I just cut a 1 x 1 so the ends roughly matched the slope of the sides of the hull and the length pushed the sides out where I needed them (love that Japanese pull saw!), then drilled a 1/16" hole thru the hull at each end of the stick.  I used small brads thru the holes and part way into the stick to hold it in place.  Once I had things wired back together nicely, I pulled the brads out and removed the stick thru the rear hatch.  While this method is a bit more trouble, one advantage is that you're less likely to scar up the hull-deck joint by prying with some kind of blade from the outside.  Another is that you can spread the hull quite a bit without straining holes and wires too much.

Good luck.

Dave

thanks dave, i cut some 1in strips and they spread the hull nicely, once things are all wired together they won't pull appart again? or should i epoxy the pieces first before removing the spreaders? thanks, dave

Unless the sides were really pretty stiff and difficult to widen, I'd think they should maintain shape pretty well when wired to the deck.  If you're still concerned, one option is to turn the wired up boat on its side with the spreaders still in place and tack weld the hull-deck seam from the inside between the stitches, at least wherever you can reach in that problem area.  Do both sides that way, let things cure for 24 hours, and I'd think you'd have a pretty solid boat.  Just be sure you don't get epoxy on the spreaders.

Dave

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.