Chesapeake 17 bulkheads

Anyone out there know if the bulkheads for the 17 and 17LT are interchangeable? I am building a 17 and am ready to install the bulkheads. I test fitted them at the correct locations and they just don't fit right. They are a little small in width and about an inch short in height. The packing tape that was wrapped on the bulkheads was marked LT 17 so I am assuming I have the wrong ones.

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Chesapeake 17 bulkheads

I have built all of my boats from plans, but all of the bulkheads need to be tweaked a little bit. The 17lt bulkheads would be about an inch to short for a regular 17. They should be pretty close on the bottom and side panels though.

Sounds like someone put the wrong bulkheads in your kit.  The tape on the bulkheads for my Chesapeake 18 had "Ch 18" written on it.

From the ad copy - "The 16LT and 17LT are standard Chesapeake 16 & 17 hulls with lower decks and sides, reducing total volume by 20% for a sleeker, more compact kayak."

This can't happen without different bulkhead shapes. Sounds like you need to call the CLC support number:

or drop them an e-mail.

Laszlo

Thanks for the responses. I called Joey at CLC and he is sending the correct bulkheads.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.