cleaning up the edges of a cut

Following the instuctions for the mast partner on a dory, I used a saber saw and drill to cut a 2.5'' square in the middle of a solid board.  It went okay, but it is ugly.  How can I square the edges?  The manual says use a sharp chisel...so my question is, how best to employ it, and what type should I procure?

5 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: cleaning up the edges of a cut

Chisel's good, but a shinto rasp is better.

Laszlo

I didn't even think about the shinto (which I have).  So that could be used to square the edges cleanly?  I'll give that a shot.

I used a shinto rasp in this situation to good effect.  I then coated the inside surfaces with epoxy and sanded,making the sides smooth.  There was some spintering on the top.  I saved the splinters and re-glued with thickened epoxy.  Ultimately, I plan to line the hole in the partner with leather which will hide the whole thing.

Keep in mind that you are building a boat, not a dining table. Obsession with perfection can drive you nuts and spoil the fun. -Wes

Lay out your cut on top of the board with pencil lines and, using a metal straight edge and razor knife, score the wood at the pencil lines to cut down on chip out.  Use your drill bit and sabor saw to cut close to, but not beyond, the scored pencil lines.  Use your rasp to clean up back to the lines, only cutting on the down stroke.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.