width of fiberglass cloth

I am at the stage of fiberglassing the hullof my Shesapeake 17, the fiberglass cloth i have is 80cm. wide. This means that on the widest part of the boat ( 91cm.) i run 9 cm. short. Is it an option to cover the keel and leave the two times 4.5 cm. uncovered on the sides? Are there other solutions?

Thnx,

Johan.

11 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: width of fiberglass cloth

Johan,

Aren't you supposed to cut the cloth diagonally and overlap it? The manual should show you how.

If not, you can use scraps from the narrow areas to cover the bare spots. Just overlap the glass about 5 cm. Once the epoxy cures, you can sand the edges of the overlap smooth.

Happy New Year,

Laszlo

Hi Laszlo,

To do the top of the boat I Wil cut the cloth as you mentioned , 

for the bottom I will cut open the cloth on the keel line (about 6 ft.) so I can do the patching on the bottom. I have not tried this before but I think with some precaution it will go.

thanks for your reply, a happy new year to you too!!

johan.

solusion:https://picasaweb.google.com/106319925583118013014/Chesapeake17?authkey=Gv1sRgCMbbwb-NwuDwhgE#5828900196046120658

https://picasaweb.google.com/106319925583118013014/Chesapeake17?authkey=Gv1sRgCMbbwb-NwuDwhgE#5828900265293538658

Johan,

Think about it.  The part of your kayak that is deepest in the water is where you cut your fiberglass cloth.  You are making more work for yourself.  Please put a strong patch over that hole in your cloth.  Next build, wrap your fiberglass from one side toward the other.  If the glass is too narrow, patch the side with excess cloth that you cut from near each end.  Or buy narrower cloth and use a piece of cloth to cover each side, overlapping along the keel.

Hi Ootb,

I think this is a perfect solution, I patched up the hole and reinforced  the whole bottom with a 3 inch wide tape, the sides will always be visible, I want them to look good. The bottom has to be strong and therefor reinforced , with the boat in the water you will not see this.

Okay, I'll agree that we disagree.  I think a reasonably feathered overlap of fiberglass can be made so that an observer needs to get to within 10-20 cm or closer to see it.  So I have no problem overlapping glass on a surface that will be seen by all.  On the other hand, I like my hulls (particularly keels and chines) covered with an uninterrupted layer of fiberglass, where possible, to maintain the strength afforded by the glass.  Personal preference.  Good luck.

Just as an example of an invisible overlap, the glass from the deck overlaps the glass on the side of the hull here in the center of the duck graphic. The seam runs parallel to the sheer line. Click on the picture to enlarge it.

For information on how to make an invisible overlap, see Building a Wood Duck 12 - Exterior glass.

Have fun,

Laszlo

Nice one Laszlo.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.