Nesting an Annapolis Wherry

Hello folks,

An Annapolis Wherry looks like a nice sliding seat rower. Now, I've had 18' canoes before and loading them onto and off of the cartop is cumbersome. A 65 lb wheery could be dangerous to load onto a cartop in a wind. What compromises would be encountered if the wheery were built as two nestling hulls? Two 9' hulls would be easy to put into a pickup bed, and easier to store in the garage. Your knowledgeable replies are appreciated.

MTP

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Nesting an Annapolis Wherry

I finished my Wherry just a while ago. I agree that it can't be carried like you would a canoe. I transported my Wheery on the top of my truck bed rack and it takes two to get it up and down from there, mostly because I don’t want to slide it up there onto the rack since I spent so much time varnishing those rails. I’m thinking about a light-weight trailer to transport and store my Wherry on. Then I wouldn’t need a helper to get the boat in the water. But overall, from an artistic point of view, I must say that splitting the most beautiful boat designed by man in two would be pure sacrilege to me. Once you build it and row it, you will find a way to transport and store it (within reason). It looks beautiful and performs better than it looks.

Ricks,

Thank you for your reply. Your comments concerning the appearance of the wherry and it's performance are appreciated. The transpotation of the vessel remains a concern to me. I already have one 22' boat that I trailer. There isn't space for another trailer nor do I want the maintanence of another piece of rolling stock. So I will consider your comment about downgrading the appearance of the wherry as one compromise to consider as a result of nesting the hull. Thank you again for your reply.

Have you looked at how the take-apart Passagemaker is done?  Basically two bulkheads that bolt together where the two halves meet.  Since the wherry is over six feet longer than the Passagemaker, this would probably need more reinforcement. 

I think that you have a good idea here, but perhaps Mr. CLC, or an engineer type could weigh-in on this.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.