Researching NE Dory build...

Based on what I've seen to date, the kit seems to be very well done, so a novice like me might manage to build one of these beauties.  I'm curious if anyone has added a fore deck with a permanent mast partner?  I'm also wondering if anyone has added a small aft deck about a foot long?  And I'm curious is anyone has used a traditional tiller with an extension vice the norwegian push-pull tiller handle?  I intend to order the building manual to study, which may very well answer my questions.  Adding these decks might disturbe the weight/balance of the boat, although I doubt it would be an issue?  Reason for decks, fore deck for keeping stuff out of the sun/spray, aft deck primarily for looks.  Any comments will be greatly appreciated...John

6 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Researching NE Dory build...

The Dory is very much in the realm of the novice builder. There are times when an extra pair of hands are nice but it is possible to build it by yourself. As far as adding decks, you need to talk to the designer, a.k.a. John Harris, and get his input. A while back he did a re-design of the Skerry to include decks for longer voyages. Your additions aren't as complex so there might not be a problem. 

George K

John, I'm putting a trailer now beneath the NE Dory, very extensively modified, that I finished this summer. I put in a bowstem of red oak, and wrapped that structure around onto the bottom for about 12 inches. This gives me a "grounding pad" that will protect the bow proper. It was natural to install a 36 inch fore deck with the grounding pad and bowstem as weight-bearing attachment points. Aside from use as a fishing vantage point, the women in my life can step into and from the vessel onto the beach dry shod.

If your addition of an after-deck or fantail will serve as rudder install point, I'd imagine some stiffeners would be needed to transmit the lateral torsion to the hull without twisting. I've added longitudinal 1x2 oak stiffeners to the floor, full length, to prevent the engine, a 2HP 4cycle air-cooled Honda BF2D, from twisting the hull.

Not only have I hugely enjoyed building the NE Dory, but the resulting vessel exactly meets my needs for beauty of line, finish, sound construction, and unique (for my geographical region) conformation. I couldn't ask for a better kit boat at a very modest price than the NE Dory.

Pics added by way of illustration.

NE Dory added fore deck

Added engine mount

NE Dory Side view full length

Denny, you did a fantastic job with this build!  I'm not sure I'm skilled enough to do what you've done.  I'm trying to avoid having a motor, but just want one rowing station.  I also like the balanced lug.  This would be my first attempt at building a boat, so I'm still thinking about it.  I ordered the building manual to study.

George, I keep hearing how a novice can build one of these boats, we'll see.  I'm waiting for the builders manual to study.  The only modifications I might want would be a permanent mast partner and one rowing station.  I think the removable partner is to allow three rowing stations? If I can install a permanent mast partner, why not include a fore deck?  Same in the aft section, a small aft deck would be nice.  Just a place to keep small items handy and out of the weather fore and aft.  I also plan to paint the entire boat without any brightwork; easier to maintain, and using contrasting colors, it will look nice enough.  The only other possible modification would be a standard tiller handle with extension vice the push-pull tiller.  Although I do see the advantage of the P-P tiller, so maybe I'd leave this alone; build the boat to plan, make mods later if desired.  I am drawn to this boat as I viewed an owner who entered the EC; he and the boat made it.  This is a good test for any boat; I'm not interested in entering the EC, but it's a great proving ground...John

John, this boat was designed with the novice builder in mind. There are no rabbets or gains to cut, the hull panels are self aligning with the lap stitch construction, all the holes are pre-drilled, even the bulkheads are impossible to misplace due to mortise and tennon joints. Large fillets are used in the bow and stern so there isn't a stem to fashion. The only woodworking involved is the thwarts (seats) that require shaping and fitting around the bulkheads. The only fiberglass is on the bottom and bilge panels inside and out. And since you're doing the sailing version you'll also be building the spars but those are a piece of cake! Once you use the push-pull tiller you'll love it. I really don't see a problem adding the decks and a permanent mast partner, this thing can haul 800 pounds or so and a few extra pounds of wood aren't going to effect performance. So study the manuals and if you have any questions don't hesitate to post here or give CLC a call. They're extremely helpful as is this forum. 

George K

I promised someone some pix of the Honda 2HP BF2D mounted on the stern. I was building the trailer today and took these 3 shots. BTW, the brailer, a Haulmaster 90154 from Harbor Freight, is almost harder to build (as I am "Mr. Overkill") than the NE Dory it carries.

Denny

BF2D on NE Dory

NE Dory & Honda BF2DHonda BF2D from inside the NE Dory

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.