Chesapeake 17

I ordered a Chesapeake 17 Nov 2. I have a few weeks to wait for delivery. I hope to have it by the first of the year.

To any one in the Detroit area:

Advice, tips, etc. will be appreciated

6 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Chesapeake 17

not in your area, but, mix your epoxy thoroughly. Take your time and if you get jammed up ask on here. There are alot of ideas on the internet.

Clamps.  Get about 25, 2" C clamps.

Kim

Fremont, ohio

Random orbital sander...

If you haven't already ... Add some heating to your shop, so the epoxy can go on warm, then cool down (=less bubbles) Add some bright lights so you can see to get a nice finish.

Hi Buzz...I built a couple of Chesapeake 16's a few years ago.  It's a great way to pass our dreary winters. Feel free to drop me a line when you get started.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/algonquinpaddler/sets/1784126/

[email protected]

Chris

Windsor, Ontario

A couple things i learned from my first build--

Use painters cups to mix epoxy--wide ones.  when it dries you can peel it out and keep using the same cup over and over.  I used a ton of solo cups before i figured that out.

When rolling epoxy onto to your glass, try pouring it into an aluminum tray and dipping your roller in the tray to apply.  speading it out over a wide area cuts down on heat and it will flow longer vs pouring out of a cup right on to the boat, and you can be more even with it.

This might just be me...but after every epoxy step inside the hull, make the last thing you do before you turn out the lights---turn the boat over upside down.  Any errant drips of epoxy will flow towards your sheer clamps, vs towards the center of the hull.  Makes a neater build--even if most of the drips are never seen.

Have fun!

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.