Please Help - skeg fitting

I'm ready to fit the skeg on my wherry but it seems much too long. Does it need to be scribed to fit the curve of the keel from the stern towards the bow or do I simply cut it to fit the length of the keel that is straight and flat from the transom forwards? How long does the skeg need to be?  Thanks,

Scott

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Please Help - skeg fitting

I've never had to actually scribe the skeg on a Wherry to fit---when fastened on, it "edge-sets" easily to match the hull shape.  Definitely don't trim it any shorter.  You can always email a pic to [email protected] if it continues to be a head-scratcher.  

Hi John,

My skeg is 4' long - when I lay it on the keel, beginning at the stern, the first 2' sit flat, but as the keel curves towards the bow, the skeg no longer remains in contact with the keel.  At the front edge of the skeg it is 3/4" off the keel.  Is this emblematic of a misshapen hull?  It wouldn't take much for me to shape the skeg to fit this curve, but it's interesting (perhaps worrying, for me) that you've never encountered this before.  Thanks,

Scott

I did rasp the surface of the skeg where it contacted the undersurface of the hull along its forward half just a bit, to get a good flat fit.

And then i used straps to hold it in place rather than the nails or screws (can't remember) suggested in the plans.  It worked great.

Go with what works. Good luck- Hickory

Thanks for the pics, Hickory.  Great idea using the straps.  I haven't got a choice when it comes to fitting the skeg, I'll have to scribe it to suit the keel.  I am glad that I'm not the only one who's encountered this. 

Thanks again,

Scott

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.