DNR HIN (hull identification number) locations

In Ohio the boating regulations require that two HIN tags be placed on the vessel. One hidden, although I don't know where one would be hidden on a 13' kayak. The second has to be attached to the transom. Since kayaks don't have transoms, I was wondering where it might be placed. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, especially if you have had experience in Ohio.

Brian

5 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: DNR HIN (hull identification number) locations

Does CLC provide hull id numbers for kits?

I don't believe CLC provides HIN numbers. Here in Ohio the DNR provides one and the tags fir homebuilt boats once they are inspected.  They did tell me I could get nicer one made asking as it has the correct number on it to install in the visible location.

Brian

I would hide the extra HIN inside either access port.  You could put it on the underside of the deck where you can't see it but you know it is there and you can see it with a mirror.  That's where I put mine.  In fact I made a couple more and put one under the other port.  I also put one in a more obvious spot, behind the seat, so maybe a thief might find it and think it is the only one.

You can make your own sticker with a label maker, then put some varnish or epoxy over it so it stays in place.  All this sounds like a lot of trouble but you will be glad you did it if it is ever stolen.

On the manufactured plastic kayaks, the visible HIN is usually located on the hull, right hand side (sitting in the boat) at the rear of the boat, close to where the hull and deck meet.

CLC provided HIN numbers for me, but I think they will, only if you buy the kit and not plans. Ask them.

DM

Thank you for all the replies.  I took my completed Millcreek 13 to the DNR office and once there, they called CLC and asked about the HIN.  CLC provided the DNR with the HIN and that was all I needed.  I did get a nice complement from the DNR Ranger that inspected it, who said it was one of the nicest home built boats he'd seen.  Of course I see the flaws, but it was nice to hear.

Brian

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.