NE dory "summer project"

Pix here: http://s1060.photobucket.com/albums/t453/bikecopX/NE%20Dory%20Build%20summer%202012/ We might be floating by thanksgiving. Life intrudes.

13 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: NE dory "summer project"

Sorry. How do i make the link "clickable"?

Type in some text (either the link itself or a description), highlight it, click on the chain icon at the bottom of the text entry dialog. Another dialog pops up. Fill out the entries, click on insert and you're done. This also works for pictures. That is, you can insert a picture, highlight it and make it a link. That way people click on the picture and be taken to your collection, website or just a larger version of the picture. I've included examples of both ways.

In the meantime, your dory pictures are very reminiscient of my garage. I just glued on the deck to my build and it took 78 spring clamps (a few more would have been good). Have fun with your build,

Laszlo

http://s1060.photobucket.com/albums/t453/bikecopX/NE%20Dory%20Build%20summer%202012/

Thanks for the help Laszlo

yes it's not a real project unless it also requires new tools!

We had a mishap last night while flipping the boat.  ever notice how many times you have to flip the boat if you follow the book?  anyway, we dropped it on the left rail and the result was the rail separated for about 2 feet near the transom.  it didn't fail in the epoxy joint, it ripped off the top layer of plywood!  my son was very unhappy, fearing the worst.  but i just mixed up a small batch of epoxy with some cel-o-fil and glued the damage back together with 5-6 clamps...a little sanding and it should be good.  i'm a little worried that the boat can't take a 1 foot drop better than that.  i am going to do a glass wrap around the rails and onto the transom to tie that in better and also around the bow.    Any suggestions welcome.  i know " don't drop it on the rail".   

We're about ready to start painting the dory.  How much paint do i need for the 3+ coats recommended?  a quart, a gallon?  i have no idea.  while you're at it, how much primer also.   assume external paint only.

thanks for any help.

from CLC:

We suggest the following: 
1 qt. of primer, 2 qts. of paint, and 2 qts. of Schooner Varnish for tandem kayaks and larger skiffs
Regards,
Ed Wigglesworth
Chesapeake Light Craft

Actually...

http://s1060.photobucket.com/albums/t453/bikecopX/NE%20Dory%20Build%20summer%202012/

At a glance, the link that Laszlo posted looked identical to yours, but it had an extra space (%20) at the end.  

Nice build!

Keith

thanks for the heads up Keith.  the photo link on Laszlo's post works OK fyi.

and thanks for the encouragement.  it's not nearly as smooth and glass-like as most of the boats on here.  I am not interested in sanding until i lose feeling in my hands, so it will be a "workboat" finish i suppose.   i want to get it done & wet before winter sets in.   

There is definitly an extra "%20" on the end of the link, which is how a space is represented in a URL.  Perhaps your browser strips it off. I tried Firefox, Internet Explorer and Chrome and got the same results in all. With the extra space on the end, PhotoBucket sends me off to a "404" error page.

How soon before you get it wet?

Keith

If it isn't smooth, try a scraper. It will remove just the high spots and doesn't make the dust you get from sanding, and you don't have to worry about sanding down to the cloth. I agree that it's best to not be obsessive with the finish. Do as good a job as you can, get some paint and varnish on there and get it wet!

Keith

Momma wants her garage back so her car will be warmer in the morning.  I have promised to be done by thanksgiving, but shooting for sooner.

Well, it's been cold for several weeks now, so i guess we'll have to get a heater or wait for warm days.  In the meantime, I installed a harken boat hoist kit and the dory is now up near the ceiling.  Pretty sweet kit.  Momma has her garage back and the boat is quickly accessible if a warm spell hits.   I'll try to add some pix of it shortly. 

i added photos of the boat hoist to photobucket, but they have a beta version active now and the pix are all out of order, you can't read the titles if they're long, and descriptions are hidden!   They're going in the wrong direction!!

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.