Paint bubbles--rolling out vs tipping out, redux

I'm sorry to repeat my previous post but I got no responses and would really like to know any thoughts people might have.  I.e., is there some reason not to use the method I described for smoothing out paint bubbles?

Briefly, it involves lightly rolling out the bubbles rather than tipping off with a brush.  It seemed to work really well for me, but I need to know if it could backfire before I try it again.

7 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Paint bubbles--rolling out vs tipping out, redux

Hey DD,

I did make a mental note to give that a try next time I do Brightsides. If the results are good and it's one less thing to clean then I like it.

As far as backfiring on you goes - if you're getting good coverage and the finish pleases you I can't think of any thing negative. Most builders are their worst critic, if you're happy with it the whole world is smiling with you!

Thanks for sharing the tip.

Using Interlux Brightside, I've never been able to get a smooth surface by using only a fine foam roller.  The roller always left tiny bubbles and roller ridges in its wake.  Unless I tipped the freshly rolled-on paint out with a foam brush, the result was pock marks where the bubbles were, orange peel surface, or uneven patches/lines, once the paint dried.  Same with finish coats of resin or varnish.  But, I agree with sskiff, if just a roller works for you, go for it.  It'd sure save a lot of time.  Good luck.  Jer in Montana, aka mtsailor.

Thanks to sskiff and mtsailor for your replies.  Responding to mtsailor, the thing that worked for me was to put almost no pressure on the roller when going back over to remove the bubbles.  Just the weight of the little 4-inch roller (or its equivalent on vertical surfaces). 

For me anyway, the brush tip-off method leaves streaks in the paint.  The roller does leave a copy of its pattern in the paint, but this disappears as the paint dries.  (Thinning with 10% 333 brushing liquid may be the secret.)

I should add that you may be a lot better at this than I am.  I have read that some people have achieved an almost sprayed-on look with the brush tip-off method.  I guess my post is aimed more at us normal folks who can't manage it with the brush--hands too shaky, etc.  Also, in this heat the paint dries too fast for the brush so that was the reason I tried the roller to begin with.  That, along with thinning solved the hot-weather problem.

For tipping off epoxy coats, many people use the same (almost dry) foam roller, but stop it from rolling, and lightly skim it over the surface to smooth out the bubbles. That has worked well for me.

If the roller is smooth and in good condition, that might also work well with paint. Something else you might try?

Thanks, I may give that a try.

When it comes to finishing I believe CLC nailed it in the "Finishing" Shop Tips:

http://www.clcboats.com/shoptips/finishing-tips/painting_polyurethanes.html

I threw my expensive varnish brushes away years ago and achieve coffee table or show-quality resin, paint and varnish finishes on my boats using the exact roller/tipping technique described.... No runs, drips, streeks, pocks, holidays, or errors.  Jer aka mtsailor  

See my "Kudos to Interlux Schooner Varnish" post.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.