Scratch Built Chesapeake 16 From the New Kayak Shop

I've posted a few photos of this boat already but the links got a bit messed up so here is the link to the entire build album, hope it can be of some help.

https://picasaweb.google.com/108206584620469731398/Chesapeake16Build?authuser=0&feat=directlink

fairing up

9 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Scratch Built Chesapeake 16 From the New Kayak Shop

Nice pics. It's always nice to have photos of the different stages of the build.  My only other comment is  what's the deal with working with epoxy and no gloves?

RE: what's the deal with working with epoxy and no gloves?

I ran out and kept forgetting to pick up more, and yes I know the possiblity of developing an allegy exists. I just worked carefully and cleaned up any skin contact quikly with rubbing alchohol; which in my experiance I often have to do anyway as the finger tips of latex/nitrile gloves usualy tear away from my powerful, manly hands.

Gloves should be worn, but better to just not be a slop artist to begin with.

LOL!  yeah I used to have problems with the gloves. Then I switched to 5mm nitrile gloves. Haven't ripped a pair yet. Harbour Frieght has good sales on these.

ps.  that rudder is badazzz!

RE: rudder

Thanks on the rudder, it's kinda the little jewel back there.

P.S. I think you mean 5 mil gloves, as in .005 inch; 5mm would be crazy thick, that's almost a quarter inch, but then again you'd never need new ones!

Nice work...I enjoyed scratch building my 16 also and turned it ino a Skin-On-Frame...

http://s147.photobucket.com/albums/r302/scrawford_photos/Chesapeake%2016%20SOF%20Kayak/?start=all

RE: Skin Chesapeake 16

Gorgeous boat! I wish my skin boats looked that clean inside... and out for that matter. And that seat looks heavenly!

inside blue boat

red boat

blue

Nice build and thanks for the pics! What footbraces/rudder control are you using? Just curious as I'm just finishing up a rudder retrofit to a chesapeake and messing around with rigging. Dave

I looked at piecing together the parts separately but in the end it was easier and more cost effective to get the One Ocean (the rudder's designer) rudder component kit, it comes with Yakima foot braces.

If you get these rudder plans and online manual access, I urge you to be careful when cutting out the rudder body/wings as the instructions aren't as clear as the author might think; mine is a little taller and not as wide as it should be, this does make it a little more responsive though.

Also, I won't use kevlar hybrid the next time around, way to hard to work with and you have to worry about UV, needs lots of varnish. Stick with carbon fiber. FiberGlast Developments has all kinds of cool carbon weave patters if you are looking for a little extra flash.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.