Fitting oars for Chester Yawl

Have 7.5' spoon billed oars with round oar locks   Not sure if my hands should overlap on draw or if there should be a gap between them when pulled toward chest/heart.  Any advice on placement of oar collars and gap would be appreciated.  Thanks.

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Fitting oars for Chester Yawl

I was told by a sculler that you need to be able to hold both oars with one hand.  I set the collar 21" from tip of the oar and it appears to be correct.

Maiden voyage today.  Torqued off the oarlock riser in a turn...... Oarlock and riser to the bottom of the lake...

photostream

Chenango Pete

I like mine to not overlap and I row three four times a week. When I put the collars on mine it seemed that a fromula came with the collars. I read someplace that a better idea would be to put some tape on the oar shafts to protect them and try it out. See what feels good for you in the boat and then set your collars.

Don

Not on a Chester Yawl, but my "$2 oars" don't overlap and it feels right on Practice, a Dudley Dix Argie 10. They have done the job, but I've got to build some prettier oars one of these days.

I'm sorry to hear about the oarlock riser jumping ship. My risers were epoxyed in place, There isn't a single metal fastener in the hull so far except for screws for the oarlock sockets and some deck plates. The risers have a fillet below them on the outside of the hull and all corners rounded off, and then a piece of glass wrapped over the the top, going from inside the hull, over the riser and down the outside. I wondrered how strong the whole lot would be, but I have sometimes had to row into winds so strong that the oars were bending. The oars and oarlock risers have survived so far.

In your case what held your risers in place? What was the point of failure? Any interesting stories about how you got back to shore? 8-)

Keith

Oar Lock Riser failure on Chester Yawl

Everything made to the Chester Yawl print.  Epoxied the riser to the rub rail, drilled pilot holes screws and screwed oar lock sockets to riser.  

The riser sheered along the grain. Paddled back to shore with an oar.  The Chester Yawl is a nice canoe too.

http://flic.kr/p/cyfupj

It has been suggested by one of my mechanical engineering buddies to change the type of wood to a different species.  His suggestions were  Bubinga, Purpleheard, Brazilian Rosewood, Indian Rosewood, Hickory, Hard Maple and White Oak.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.